Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Frailea - The Cleistogamous Cactus

Cleistogamous - Botany. Of or relating to a flower that does not open and is self-pollinated in the bud.



Frailea pumila is a small cactus from the grasslands of Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay.  For most of its life it stays pretty much hidden in the grass, but every now and then it comes forth with a halo of bright yellow flowers, attracting any pollinators in the vicinity.  

Unlike most cacti, fraileas don't really have to flower to produce fruit and seed.  They are part of an unusual group of plants that have cleistogamous flowers.  For me it is rare and exciting to see fraileas. They usually produce little round, dry fruits without flowering.  This past Sunday, when F. pumila unexpectedly produce its lovely yellow flowers, it became an instant blog item. 

The genus Frailea was named in honor of Manuel Fraile, who years ago, maintained the cactus collection of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in
Washington, D.C., which by the way, is the city in which I was born.



7 comments:

  1. Manuel Fraile was my great-grandfather. He was born in Salamanca, Spain. When he first came to the US, he was a linguist and taught at the Berlitz school of Languages in New York. He met his future wife there. She was fresh off the boat from Ireland. They moved to Washington, DC where he pursued his career in botany. He also fathered nine children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information. I am glad he has a cactus genera named after him. Sounds like he was an interesting person, and a cactus grower! Cactus growers are always great people!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I am honoured to find a family of Manuel Fraile.
    I am writing the third volume of Taxonomy of the Cactaceae and I would be happy to get his picture if possible, as well as the date of his death.
    Thank you for your contribution.
    Joël Lodé
    joel(a)cactus-aventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joel Lode. I am a great- granddaughter of Manuel Fraile. I am sorry that this response is so late.
    He died on August 4, 1944.
    We are trying to locate a photo of him.
    How do I send it to you?
    Thank you, Joan Garby
    P.S. He was also a linguist who taught at the Berlitz School of Languages in New York City before moving to Washington. My grandfather, Rene Fraile, was one of his nine children. Rene was a Colonel in the US Army and fought in WW1 and WW2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mr Lode,
    I have two obituaries and one old photo of Manuel Fraile.
    Would you l8ke me to send them to you or email them to you?
    Joan Garby

    ReplyDelete
  5. My email address is:
    Carson12970@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 photos if Manuel Fraile and an obituary and would be happy to send them to you.
      Joan Garby

      Delete