Friday, October 18, 2013

It's Lithops Blooming Time !!

Lithops  lesliei  var.  hornii 

 
 
 
I have more plants of Lithops lesliei than any other type.  I like the large size of the plants, the relatively flat top of the leaves, the very interesting patterns of the leaf colors, and last but not least,  they are one of the easiest lithops to grow. 
 
Shown is a three headed plant of L. lesliei v. hornii C364.  It was grown from seed planted in the fall of  2002.  Lithops are occasionally called "Midday Flowers" because the flowers usually don't open wide until about 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon. 


4 comments:

  1. In the past I have left the old skins but this year I have tried to take out each Lithops and clean it up. I must have found some time from somewhere. I think the plants look better but do not know what will be the long term result. It was nice to look at all the plants. I do like all the different forms of lesliei.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about taking the time and visiting each of your plants on an individual basis. I'm keeping this in mind as I work to reduce the total number of plants in my collection. Fortunately, by belonging to a local C&S society (National Capital Cactus and Succulent Society), I can give away extra plants to good homes. In terms of cleaning lithops, I have some plants which have all their old skins, 8-10 years worth in a few cases. I generally remove the old skins when repotting. Supposedly, removing the old skins reduces the chances of mealybugs; however, I have never had mealybugs on any of my lithops. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the comments Alain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the sunny yellow petals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You should have many years to come watching your lithops seedlings grow and flower. That's quite exciting.

      Delete